Review on Longueville House, The Presidentsí Restaurant
Built in 1720 on high ground overlooking the Blackwater Valley ('the Irish Rhine'), Longueville House has developed over the years, with extra wings and a conservatory added to the original building in recent times. It is still a delight to the eye, standing proud in 500 acres of its own land.
The estate ensures that the kitchen is seriously endowed with supplies: lamb and pork are from the owners' family farm, fruit and vegetables are garnered from the walled garden, while salmon and trout are caught in the river that runs through the grounds.
Dinner is served in the Presidents' Restaurant, beneath portraits of Irish presidents gone by. Fixed-price menus show off the abundance of home-grown produce, with intricate dishes such as a trio of lamb with celeriac mousse and thyme jus or roast mallard with Jerusalem artichokes, sloe and cep sauce followed by chocolate and orange fondant or apple tartlet with nougat ice cream.
Meals can also be taken in the adjoining Turner Conservatory, a fine Victorian space with curved ironwork designed in 1866 by glasshouse-master Richard Turner. Wines are drawn mainly from classical and southern French regions, with a few forays further afield; the owners also import direct from vineyards across the world.
Longueville House, The Presidentsí Restaurant is also featured in: Good Food GuideRate this Restaurant
Modern Irish / French
Restaurant Opening Times
Lunch: 12.30 - 2.00pm Sun
Dinner: 6.30 - 8.00pm Wed-Sat
Accepted credit cards
Visa, Master Card, American Express